- 632 West 6th Avenue
- Anchorage, Alaska 99501
- © 2012 Municipality of Anchorage
Getting started? Here are some of the best resources we've found online for early-stage businesses.
- AKSourcelink: Our #1 resource! Alaska's go-to source for all things entrepreneurial and small business, including a resource locator where you can find advisors, funding and more.
- Alaska Small Business Development Center: Offering classes, workshops and information to small businesses and entrepreneurs ready to take concrete steps to launch a business.
- Entrepreneur Alaska: An Alaska blog run by a young, enthusiastic team which highlights Alaska small businesses and focuses on entrepreneurship
- State of Alaska Loan Program Summary (PDF): Funding options available from the state's Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development.
- Small Business Administration, Alaska Office: While the SBA doesn't make loans directly, they do meet with entrepreneurs.
- Startup Owl: Holds a variety of articles with resources and advice on starting a business.
- Business Plan Template: A great guide on writing a simple business plan (they don't have to be epics!)
- Business Plan Mistakes: Cayenne's Consulting's guide on what common mistakes are in business plans.
- Valuation Calculator: Also from Cayenne Consulting, and targeted toward tech startups. A very rough guide on how much your new business--in idea, startup or operational mode--is worth.
Securities, Alaska and the Law
- Raising Capital in Alaska is a one-pager put together by put together by Alaska's Division of Banking and Securities. IMPORTANT: Read before trying to secure investors!
Information on the Sale of Securities in Alaska, the Exemptions from Registration as well as Securities Forms can all be found over at the state's website.
Angel Investing: The Basics
- Overview of Angel Investing (BusinessWeek): An excellent primer on angels; note that while many invest at the $25,000-$50,000 range, the 49SAF invests from $30,000 to $3 million and requires a 1:1 match of funds within 90 days of conditional approval.
- Center for Venture Research: The group has published an excellent 2011 Analysis Report on Angel Investing (PDF) which includes success rates, sectors of interest, etc.
- Valuation Methodologies for Early-Stage Companies: Five different approaches used in valuation of pre-revenue companies; the author recommends using three methods to find "close agreement" on a number.
Angel Investing: Advanced
Returns of Angel Investors in Groups
Robert Wiltbank, Warran Boeker. November 2007, Kauffman and Angel Capital Education Foundations.
Expected Returns to Stock Investments by Angel Investors in Groups
Ramon P. DeGennaro, Gerald P. Dwyer. Working Paper 2010-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
Angel Investing: Groups, Foundations